Monday, September 2, 2013

labas

Sometimes you do things and you just know that that thing you are doing is something you have been waiting to do your entire life. I have felt that in a big way several times so far on my adventure here. And it has only been one week, can you believe it?
I really love it here, and I think I've already become addicted to travel. Sitting on the airplane, reading my favorite book, and realizing that I was on my way to Europe was just a first experience where I realized that I am actually doing things that I have always dreamed about doing. I never knew it would be Lithuania, or that I would be teaching 6 year olds English, but I guess it makes sense that this has always been in store for me.
Anyways, this is the land of gray apartment buildings for real. Everyone lives in an apartment. Some are bigger than others, but houses just don't really exist. It is a pretty poor country, and the area I live is very dirty and graffiti is everywhere. The people are so resourceful and grateful for what they have. It is a beautiful thing to see. Old Town Vilnius is a 20 minute bus ride and it has easily become one of my favorite places in the world. It's name is fitting, because really it's old. Many buildings date back to the early 1500's, and they are all beautiful. Even more beautiful than the buildings though are the people. Everyone looks so unique and cool and I want to be apart of it all.

I have lots more to say about the crazy awesome architecture and all, but I'll save that for later.
Being placed in this host family was the best thing that could have ever happened. I live about a 15 minute walk from the school, and from any bus stop with a fellow teacher, and the sweetest girl, Shelbi. (It's a real hoot to introduce ourselves at the same time, everyone thinks it's a joke. Kelby and Shelbi.) They take care of us very well, and are probably the kindest people in all of Lithuania. But seriously. The people here always look so angry. I guess you could say smiling is frowned upon? ha. But really, they are quickly becoming my Lithuanian family.
There was a terrifying incident with a spider on day three. Remember how I said killing spiders was a no in the house hold? Well, Shelbi and I have no problem with breaking that rule and killing them on the spot, but the killing them ourselves thing became an issue when the biggest spider of my life showed up on the wall! It was about three inches, MINIMUM. I will just say it took us an entire hour to work up the bravery to kill it. We couldn't ask anyone for help because in this house, you don't kill spiders. (they bring happiness...ya right!) Shelbi was a brave brave soul and she smashed that spider to bits with an old mop we found. We aren't here to mess around. Tell your friends spider!
But anyways, our family consists of three girls and one boy, ages ranging from 15 to 3. I help them learn English and they help me learn Lithuanian.I've been learning some Lithuanian and Russian, but for some reason I keep wanting to speak Spanish.

 Madeina, Amanda, and I
Davidas, Arturas, me, Shelbi, and Jolita
On Sunday, after we attended church at a tiny little Russian branch, we took a family outing to an old city called Trakai, about 30 minutes outside Vilnius. That's where the pictures above were taken. If you didn't notice, that's an ancient castle in the background. Not impressive enough? We took a paddle boat all around the lake, and went and explored the castle ourselves! Talk about living the dream. I can also honestly say I am getting a very authentic Lithuanian experience when it comes to food. I have decided that Lithuanian food is probably never something I will crave, and there is a reason you never hear anyone say, "man, I could really go for some soggy, raw, meat stuffed potatoes" (it's even weirder than it sounds) We had a very traditional meal called kibini on Sunday, served with chicken broth, the main event, a drink called Gira.


Gira is a very old drink made of fermented rye bread. It tastes like bread, dirt, and sourness...so I loved it obviously... It was not good. But my host mother told us it was so good for hair and skin, and the kids were guzzling it down like water, so I drank every bit of that sludge. That was a moment where I really felt immersed in the culture, and just so happy to be apart of it, drinking bread juice like a true Lithuanian. 
Ok, the most important part for last. The teaching! Like I was saying the culture here is so unfriendly. It is just so different, but I have been trying to find connections in humanity. The easiest way to do that is through the kids I teach. First of all Lithuanian children are adorable, but just because their parents look stern, doesn't mean they are all well behaved. We teach 4 hours a day, non-stop and by the end I am exhausted. I teach kids who are about 5 and 6. Some older, some younger. It all depends on skill level. The kids are so happy and they love to learn. They soak everything in like sponges, and have so much energy for any little task you throw at them. Planning lessons is an incredibly long process, but it really helps when teaching time comes. I get to play games and do different activities with the kids, all to try and get them talking, in English only of course. (rule number 1) Today we jump roped, built a catapult, etc, etc. It's hard, I won't lie, but I really already love these kids and I want to help them create a good life in every way that I can. I'm really not trying to say that in cheesy save the world type of way. I just think that everyone deserves some help along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment