Friday, November 8, 2013

backpacking

Warning: This post is probably cheesy and cliche. Sorry.

I just got home from backpacking central Europe.
Words I always hoped I would say.
And when I say home, I'm referring to Vilnius, Lithuania.
Words I never thought I would say.
The past 10 days have been full of walking, bus rides, walking, hostels, making friends, exploring, and then some walking. We finished teaching Friday night, loaded our backpacks and so it began. First stop was Warsaw, Poland which was just a necessary stop we made in order to catch a bus to Prague, in the Czech Republic...

Prague was what I was most excited to see, and it really was a magical place. Every building looked like a little Christmas town collectible. Our hostel was located on the perfect street, (despite the slight incline, that was not actually very slight after a full day of walking) and there was so much to explore. Prague was super cool, but also full of a million tourists. Obviously I was one of those tourists, but I could've done without the rest of them. ha.
Highlights of Prague include, eating delicious goulash, a ferry ride through the nicknamed Venice of Prague, the Lennon Wall, and the St. Charles Bridge. But seriously, I could live on that bridge. There is not a single direction you could look that would provide you with a less than mind blowing view. It's full of cool vendors selling cool homemade crafts, and street performers, and perfection.


Next stop was Budapest, Hungary. Talk about big city livin'. We did some serious walking here. The Danube River runs right through the city, separating the Buda side, and the Pest side. No joke. The Pest side is where it is at. One of my favorite days on the trip was our spa day in Budapest. When I say spa, I mean thermal waters, public baths, real deal old school European living. There were giant outdoor pools, indoor tubs, saunas, a lazy river! All full of the natural, hot, healing waters of Budapest. St. Stephen's Basilica was another must see in Budapest along with classy parks, and castles. I am a big fan of Budapest.

 

Third stop was Vienna, Austria. Although completely unexpected, it was my absolute favorite. The weather was beautiful, there was the coolest outdoor market right outside our hostel door, the buildings were all so classy, the chocolate was unreal...I can't really do it justice, it was perfection. We spent halloween night wandering the streets looking for a party. (we found the best one) We saw lots of people dressed up and the whole town was full of energy and excitement. At one point on day two, we stopped to take a classic leaf throwing picture because the conditions were so prime, it would have been wrong to not. While I was throwing leaves a huge group of tourists stopped and started taking pictures of me. They were all Asian and spoke little English, but one word they knew was..again, again. It was hilarious. Now we're just waiting for our model shots to show up somewhere. I think I left a little piece of my heart in Vienna.
 

Despite the lack of sleep, the bus rides that totaled to 50 hours, a sore back, and raw feet I have to say travel is the dream life... I am currently living the dream life. I love Europe, and I already cannot wait to return to all of these amazing places. The world is huge, but I had no idea that it could be full of so much awesomeness





No comments:

Post a Comment